Regiment THIS, California
California Update #1
First off, I’m going to try changing the release date from Wednesdays to Fridays? Am I going to lose anybody if I do that? I hope not. I think it’s going to work better with my rehearsal schedule. Well, I’m going to try it for a week or two and see how it works, anyway. I may end up going back. But that’s the beauty of the internet, isn’t it? If it was on TV I couldn’t never change when my show was going to be on, or people would just miss it. With web video, if you miss it when I launch it, it’s still going to be there tomorrow. Yay.
So, to recap (for myself, as well as for you), last week I left my stable job (steady income) to jet off to California to do a play. The play was certainly an incentive, but it was also an excuse; I have a lot of goals that I’m hoping to achieve in my time here.
1. Writing. Write for a bare minimum of an hour each day. For the first while, that will mostly take the form of working on sketches for a second submission packet for Saturday Night Live (just in case they ask for it). After that’s nice and tight, though, I’m going to shift my focus to my long-delayed screenplay.
2. Improve 50in50. I’ve been saying for months that I could make this show better if I just had more time. So, this is where that theory gets tested.
3. Get into the best shape of my life by August 1st. I’d planned to get into some sort of regular exercise pattern, but given the demands of the play I’m going to be in, I now need to be in the best shape of my life. My director, actually, basically asked me to, too. Obstacle: I am currently VERY far from the best shape of my life. But who doesn’t love a challenge.
4. Earn some kind of money. Uh… I’ll figure something out.
5. Surf. Try to surf at least once a week. If possible, never miss a swell.
6. Do solid work in this play. That means a lot of memorizing, a lot of rehearsing on my own, a lot of investigation, and a lot of experimentation. I’m happy to say that I’m going into it WAY more confidently than usual, and I am 100% sure that it’s because of 50in50. That’s incredibly validating. Sometimes I lose track of what I’m doing this for, but above all else, it’s PRACTICE.
7. Do all of that SOBER. Yes, you heard right. I’ve decided to take the next three month off from alcohol and all that. This is something I always used to do when I was in a play with heavy vocal demands. Well, this one will be one of the most vocally demanding I’ve ever done (maybe the most, actually). But I want my lines to stay in my brain. Plus it’ll help me work toward “Best Shape Ever” status. Plus it’ll save me money. Plus… I’ve got a lot of shit I’m hoping to achieve while I’m here. I don’t have time to waste on that shit. …until the cast party.
And there’s more. Spend good quality time with my mom, dad, brother, and friends. Enjoy nature. Cook more. Read more. Etc. etc. etc. So, here I am, in the land of taking it easy, and I’m not taking it easy. Well, not too easy.
Rehearsals started today. I think this is going to be a really good show. At the VERY least, it’s going to be one hell of an adventure.
More soon, and see you on Friday for the new episode.
Brent 6.16.09 1.29am